Friday, November 12, 2010

Making an Appearence on Someone Else's Blog


The example of CNN and the Iraq war begs the question: is there any way to really trust ones media sources.  Their failure to honestly report on the War left many people feeling like I had been lied to.  Because so many people trust CNN to provide a critical opinion, CNN’s support of the war made it seem necessary.  If mass media is, as Hafez suggests, so unreliable in reporting unbiased accurate information than is there any way to get the truth?  What other sources are available, if the sources we trust to be honest are not?  I try not to rely on online information too often, because I can’t trust the sources.  But If I cannot trust the mass media either, what can a person do?  Although, I am currently writing a blog, I don’t trust many of them for my news.  Here is a story about my experience making into someone else’s blog, and learning how, twisted they are. 

While interning on Capital Hill, angry constituents asked me ridiculous questions and demanded answers.  Many people would laugh to themselves when I couldn’t answer their questions like, “If the government can tax me for methane gas, how can you guarantee me the Senator won’t tax me for farting? That’s methane gas too!  How can you promise me?? Tell me?”  or “If the hate crimes amendment goes through,  did you know that my pastor could get arrested for preaching anti-gay beliefs.  Does the Senator think its right for people to get arrested for free speech?”  I wasn’t allowed to contest their responses, only promote them to correspondence or plead intern ignorance.  So many people would end their conversations, laughing and saying, “Oh boy, my blog followers will love to read about this conversation.  ‘The Senator supports pastors getting arrested for preaching the bible.’ You’ve been so helpful...Not.” My intern obligation to not wrestle with constituents made it hard to listen to them. “Listen, Mam, the government has much better things to do than worry about your personal flatulence. Might I consider stock in Beano or some hobbies.”  I always wondered if their readers really considered the entire Government system staffed with stammering idiots.  They could have been lying (probably were), but they did seem to have a large readership.  And with quotes from the Senators office, they had new credibility.  The experience made be understand how uncredible online media can be and how people select sources that confirmed their arguments, no matter how unsound, tautological or outlandish they were. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I often wonder why people call in to anywhere and ask stupid questions like that, as if to showcase their "wit" and report to others how awesome they were for sticking it to the man. I personally feel like blogging is a safe way of disagreeing--you can do it anonymously, but unless you do it publicly I probably won't have much respect for you. Blogging also has a horrible way for picking up credibility, like that guy who posted the clip of the Dept. of Agriculture woman saying something that made her look racist, and then she was fired. And in truth, his MISSION IN LIFE which was posted on his blog, was to take down liberals, so obviously biased, and yet, she was totally innocent and the media and government freaked out and panicked. It's as though almost everyone has something to say and thinks it's important to say and that everyone else should hear it. I'm just glad our blogging thing is only for class :)

    ReplyDelete